Skip to main content

A New Year, and some new thoughts

Next month will mark 19 years of my consulting in the diamond and jewelry industry.  It has been a great run and I have enjoyed most of it.  I will not, of course, have another 19 years of doing the same.  I think now, at the outset of 2011, of the remarkable changes that have transpired, and of the greater ones to come.  So, I wish to make the most of the years to come, however many they may be.

I still have much work to do, thankfully.  But it also time to open a conversation with anyone inclined to consider the larger world within which we operate.  The jewelry industry is introverted, small, and entrepreneurial.  But we are nevertheless buffeted by an astounding variety of societal and technological revolutions.

So I open this blog in the hope that friends, colleagues and fellow members of this great industry will use it for a frank and profitable venue for discourse.

I can't promise to chime in every day, as I will be preoccupied at various times.  I will do my best to contribute and respond.

So let us begin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The New De Beers

This past week we saw De Beers introduce Lightbox Jewelry, a full-bore, direct to consumer (DTC) retailer that will exclusively use man-made diamonds (MMDs) produced by their Element 6 division.  The concept is neatly packaged to offer a basic selection of body jewelry at moderate prices.  The DTC approach is intended to circumvent the entire traditional channels of distribution established by De Beers over the last century, in an effort to demonstrate that this is just a low-end, low-value product aimed at an under-served public.  De Beers claims that it will only benefit its existing clients by demonstrating how much more valuable "real" diamonds are. This move cam as no surprise at all to me. There are many gaps and holes in this plan, and I will try to outline them in future blog posts. To begin with, I posted three times in 2015 with my views on the subject.  Here are the links to those blog posts, as it would save me time repeating the points I made back then!

Top 10 Issues for 2015 - #5. The New Consumer

Well, the summer break is over, and we are facing a Fall season that does not seem to have much momentum.  Last time, I wrote about retailers' issues, though there is much more one can say on that subject. Now, let's think about the consumers.  Where are they?  Who are they? And will they show up this season? There is plenty of evidence that the public we have grown so accustomed to in the Consumer Age has evolved, or is evolving, into a very different public, one that has reset some values and taken a hard look what it takes to earn a dollar, and just how to spend that dollar. Maybe the best way to begin to describe this transforming mindset of the public is to make a list of what we see. Keeping up with the Jones's is dead.  Acquisition for its own sake, and to show off what we own is no more, though personal satisfaction is still there.  So that means that what you own means less than what you've done and where you've been.  (I exclude the super-rich, who

The Diamond Crisis

I was prepared to write my next big issue for 2015, number 5, but this week's news in the diamond business has diverted my attention.  Conditions have reached the boiling point, and the future is foggier than ever. Without repeating all the details that I assume most concerned people have already learned, let's look at the upshot.  (A well done update is this week's column by Edahn Golan, issued just before the latest twist.  Look at his column at http://edahngolan.com/how-sightholders-take-care-of-business-a-market-report/)  In essence, the pipeline is stuffed with diamonds.  Some sightholders have been borrowing to buy goods, but using cash flow from under-priced sales to fund investments in other, more profitable ventures.  But many of those ventures have turned sour, and there have been some bankruptcies.  Apparently, there are many dealers under great pressure, and the market is seizing up as there is fear about selling anyone.  While I do not know the details, ther